February 19, 2015 § Leave a comment
Gorgeous chilly, sunny, day! Though it did warm up this afternoon. Both Ss today, Y and G.
A One-Mile Race continued
- Each S read the entire story aloud.
- I asked questions – Who did what? Etc.
- S used the index cards – in order of the story – to retell the story.
Simple question and answer formation.
Reverse subject verb order.
I asked a question – Ss formed the answers. Based on the story.
Were there girls in the race?
No, there were no girls in the race.
Was the race a six-mile race?
No, the race was a one-mile race.
I asked generic questions. Ss form answers. And change person to I.
Are you sleepy?
No, I am not sleepy.
Are you hungry?
Yes, I am happy.
I present statements, Ss form questions. Simple subject verb switch, and person.
i am tired.
Are you tired?
Do in questions
Simple Present vs Present Continuous – in general vs right now
What are you doing? (Meaning right this moment).
i am teaching.
i am studying English.
i am mopping the floor.
Also can be used for the future
What are you doing __future time__?
What are you doing tomorrow?
Simple Present Do
What do you do? This typically is referring to occupation when asked alone.
What do you do on Wednesdays? In general, each Wednesday past, present and future.
i study English on Wednesdays.
What do you do every day?
I mop the floor every day.
Simple Past Do/Did
What did you do? The past is indicated by “did”.
What did you do on Monday? Use time words again.
i studied Enlgish on Monday.
What did you eat yesterday? You do not change the verb tense of the other verbs in the question.
i ate chicken for dinner. You use the past, without do, for the answers.
What did you drink yesterday?
I drank coffee with dinner.
Yesterday, I ate bread and drank coffee.
Spatial and question/answer forms.
What is this? About something I am near.
That is a door.
What is that? I point to something away from me, near a S.
This is my cell phone.
Started to do Ventures Workbook pg 6, but taught from charts on page 121.
Do Workbook page 6 next class. Make photocopies of page for Ss.
Create wordsearch using infinitives. Ss to find tenses in puzzles – the answer is not given as clues.
My sites were unavailable mid-session. Change site host today: done!
Find or create paragraph from Vatican Paintings. Create comprehension quiz.
Continued with last lab.
Y did cloze sentences and sentence word order – skipped crossword puzzle.
G finished dictation, the final segment of the last lab. Went on to do wordsearch puzzles on my site and another story to do the dictation segment.
February 11, 2015 Comments Off on Class | 11feb 2015
- Present the vocab list on the board.
- Ss will write the words in their notebooks.
- Review verbally for comprehension
- Ask which words are unfamiliar
- Ask Ss to explain/define or translate familiar words
- Ss write vocab on index cards – English one side, translate if needed.
- Spread cards out on desk
- As I read the story aloud, Ss place cards in order they appear in story. We do this together, I check off each word on the board as we go.
Vocabulary List for A One-Mile Race
A One-Mile Race
There is a race today. He puts on his shorts. He puts on his sneakers. He goes to the track. It is a one-mile race. Other boys show up at the starting line. The race starts. All the boys run fast. They run around the track four times. The race ends. He comes in third place.
Do the exercises below:
- Cloze – fill in the words
- Crossword – a puzzle, use the vocabulary words
- Sentences – make a correct sentence
- Dictation – listen and write what you hear
Comprehension: Quiz on my site
- G finished all, except Comprehension Quiz – will do it at home.
- Y had to leave at 2 – working on Crossword
- Ss retell story using index cards
- Finish lab – (and something new for G)
February 4, 2015 Comments Off on Class 4feb, 2015
It is grey and chilly today. Full class – Y and G. I will not have time for all of this! Index cards. Print/Copy story. Add links to this post.
Chat of course, use Grammar exercises.
- Tell us about the weather today.
- Example: Today it is/the weather is cold and gray.
- Something they did
- Topics – at work , class Monday or cooked
- Ss give a time and context, when where then…On Monday in class, last week at workwe did “Today” i.e. this morning…Today, I got up at 6:30 am. Then, I took a shower. After that, I got dressed.
- 3 steps only
- Simple review – add Will to verb, maybe – add Will Be for Continuous
- When? Next week, tomorrow, etc.
- Give example using time words above
- Ss do
- Passage: Visit the Park
- Ss i.d. Unknown words and write them down.
- Identify words – vocab Get the words from Y next class!
- Read aloud – Ss
- Review passage for comprehension.
- I.d. tense of story and what indicates the tense? Ask for Present Tense of verb they picked to indicate Past Tense.
- Summary – retell story: title, what story is about.
- Write words on cards
- Ss retell story using cards – title, what story is about, retell.
Do verbs: teach, get, take
- What are you doing? Past and future.
- How did you do that?
- What does that mean?
- Why did you do that?
- Where are you going? Past and future